Image default

Taking out health insurance

When you start working in the Netherlands as a foreigner, you’re usually obligated to take out health insurance. There are also other things to keep in mind, such as a residence permit. If you have the nationality of an EU country, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland, there’s no need to apply for a residence permit. If you’re a national of another country, you do need to have a residence permit to live and/or work in the Netherlands. This also applies if you’re married to someone from the EU.

Citizen service number

In order to apply for Dutch health insurance as a foreigner, you must register as a resident of the Netherlands. You can arrange this for free at the municipality where you’ll be living. In this case a distinction is being made between whether you’ll be staying longer than four months or shorter.

When you register with the municipality, you’ll receive a citizen service number (BSN). If you have this number, you can take out health insurance with HollandZorg as an immigrant. In addition to the compulsory basic insurance, you can take out supplementary insurance. This additional insurance entitles you to extra reimbursements.

If your family will be living in the Netherlands as well, they are also required to take out health insurance. Children up to the age of 18 must be insured, but don’t have to pay an insurance premium. With HollandZorg you can take out health insurance using the online application module.

Medical care with your European Health Insurance Card

If you take out health insurance Netherlands with HollandZorg, you’ll receive a health insurance card that states your insurance details. It also serves as your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC card, for short). As a holder of this card you’re entitled to reimbursement of costs for necessary medical care during a temporary stay in EU/EEA countries and Switzerland. You won’t receive full reimbursement of costs in all countries. The reason for this is that the insurance package and coverage are different for every country. If you require health care abroad, it’s important that you call our emergency centre. Our staff will advise you which care provider to go to with your European Health Insurance Card. They can also determine whether the care is urgent.



Related Posts

Het moderne werk loopt via een uitzendbureau

Met de materialen van All Dent is mijn praktijk compleet!